your guide to our jargon and using the grumble website most effectively
Founded in 2010, grumble is a platform for online petitions available to any grumbler (you the user) about any grumblee (the target company or organisation) in the UK. When a grumble reaches suitable popularity we will take up the matter, try to resolve it and let you know any response that we receive.
a grumble is an online petition or campaign launched on the grumble website. It can be about anything that frustrates you and you believe, given popular support, could and should be changed. grumble.org.uk covers local and national issues throughout the United Kingdom.
the grumbler is the person who initiates (starts) the grumble
the grumblee is the ‘target’ of a grumble - the company or organisation that you want us to contact to raise your issue
grumblenuts are the people who have joined a grumble to show that they agree with the campaign, adding their email address as a way of ‘signing’ the petition
for best results
- Search carefully to ensure that your grumble has not already been started by somebody else. If you launch another similar petition, you will weaken the popularity of the campaign.
- Choose your grumblee carefully. It is much easier for us to approach a specific organisation (such as BP) rather than an industry in general (e.g. oil companies). If it is an individual, be realistic about your choice of grumblee. For example, we can approach your MP but we would not be willing to contact your ‘Mother in Law’.
- Remember the four C’s: keep it Clean, Constructive, Clear and Concise. The better your grumble is presented, the more likely it will be to gather support and therefore success.
- We monitor the progress of every grumble. The grumbler and all grumblenuts will be notified as the support reaches certain numbers (eg 100, 500, 5000 etc). You can help to promote a grumble by sharing it with your friends on facebook and twitter.
- Once reasonable support is achieved, we will set a target level (number of supporters) at which we will contact the grumblee to raise the matter. We will ask them to review the detail of the grumble and consider changing their policy / rules. We will ask them for a written response which will be sent by email to all supporters of that grumble.
- When a conclusion is achieved, the grumble will be closed and the details displayed in the ‘success’ section of this website.
- As the grumbler responsible for starting a grumble, we may contact you to discuss the possibility of involving you personally (should you so desire) in the progress of your grumble campaign.